Saturday, July 01, 2006

Capoeira da rua in FW back in February

It occurs to me that I never followed up with information about the "Carnival de Palabras" that Sound Culture (my production org) hosted back in the February month. If you can imagine--and it may be hard, this being July and all--it was a very cold and icy day back on February 18th, the day of the show. I remember packing my car to the gills--hasta que i threw in blankets, pillow, crockpot, and food fixins--just in case I got ice-stuck at the Rose Marine Theater. When I finally left mi casita, I drove like a turtle in an igloo: very slow and very shivery--passing the occasional ice-bound car which had either stalled or gotten into a fender-bender. (That high bridge, just north of the Courthouse, that crosses the Trinity was particularly SKETCHY...) When I safely made it to the Rose Theater, I parked right outside the front doors and threw my beers into the outdoors ice chest--that is, the trunk of the car--and thanked the deities for letting me make it there in one piece. I woulda kissed the ground, except that I was afraid my lips would get stuck there.

Anyway, the photo above was taken by Dallasite Sondra Beamon, freelance artist/photographer/graphic designer (gotta give credit...); it's of Da'Shade Moonbeam playing the berimbau while Enrique C and Da'mon S do a capoeira encounter as footage from a capoeira doc runs in the background.

Oh, those folks--Da'Shade, E, D, Andrea M, and the rest of the performance crew drove in from Austin that very morning. Impressive that they braved the cold and the road conditions to keep their gig commitment. We ended up with a fair number of people in the audience that evening, some driving from Dallas and Plano just to get out of the house and see something different. In the following photo (also taken by Sondra B), a roda (pronounced "hoda") is happening onstage wherein all the capoeiristas form a circle as two people at a time enter it to do a head-to-head. Members of the audience were invited onstage to join the roda and kick up their heels.
Following the performance in the theater, we all commenced to party in the gallery with a reception for artist Solange Mariel and the Austin performers. Poet and girl-of-the-road Oxossi agreed to be body painted by Sondra Beamon--with words of a Brazilian Portuguese poem. It was a fine show, all in all, and I was pleased that everyone there expressed nary a regret about having to drive icy roads to be with us. Ajua!

No comments: