Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My two most recent publication credits: 2 poems and an essay

Read 'em online now.

Judy Gordon, based in N. Dallas, is the wife and artist-colleague of legendary Texas "outlaw poet" Roxy Gordon (R.I.P., Roxy), who is highly-lauded by many (sometimes they play recordings of Roxy's recorded readings on the Native American music show "Bows and Arrows" which airs on KNON-FM, 88.7, on Sundays at 6pm). Judy's a great organizer and late-blossoming visual artist, and in the wake of Roxy's passing, she's kept pretty busy with literary/art activities. PUTT (Pickin Up the Tempo) is her latest project, and she's been publishing it for about a year now.

Read it online here or sign up to receive each monthly issue via email. Two of my newest poems are featured in the current issue. Click on "TAMMY GOMEZ" in the sidebar to read 'em.

You may also consider submitting some of your latest scribbles and raw words to Judy for a future issue. I like the feel of what she's doing with this publication. Think of it as a literary equivalent to "No Depression," the insurgent country, alt-Americana roots music zine. I guess that might be a useful comparison, maybe not...

Hey, I also have a new essay published online for my compa Bronmin Shumway's new zine HERE THERE MAGAZINE, which just launched in March. My essay describes the history of taking my play "She: Bike/Spoke/Love" from the page to the stage. It was a very useful process for me, writing down some of the tools, steps, and decisions that were necessary to this project gettin' done. In writing the essay, I was very thankful for having taken the time to maintain a a blog that charted this seemingly (to me, at least) epic journey.

My friend, Vicki Grise, has started her own process blog, to document the creative path of her current performance project, "rasgos asiaticos, which she's developing at Cal-Arts in L.A.

Sometimes we forget to leave crumbs, helping us recognize and remember the way we got from point A to point B. If we blog about it, then maybe the mystical magic of our creative productions might actually be replicate-able. Or, at least, it could help others just starting out to know how we accomplished the minor miracles of our artistry.

No comments: