Friday, June 17, 2005

Looking out the window of the Junsuree Thai House...

...where I'd just indulged in an amazing Thai buffet lunch, I saw not one, not two, not three, but FOUR bicyclists (not together, not connected in any romantic or familial way) pass to and fro before my eyes in the sudden span of about EIGHT SECONDS. On Magnolia "bicycle highway" Avenue.

Does this mean, could this possibly hopefully mean that Fort Worth now has a genuine BICYCLE CULTURE?

I was incredulous as I walked to my car to drive the seven blocks distance from the Thai House to my home. Wishing all the while that I'd bicycled instead.

Reminds me of the time that I was bicycling downtown, a few years ago, on a paved sidewalk. I was just about to turn a corner, northward, I believe, when another bicyclist, headed southward, just about careened into me. Fortunately, I was moving pretty slowly and he had quick instincts, as we both squeezed the handbrakes on our respective bicycles and made eye contact for the first and (maybe) last time in our lives.

I chuckled and he uttered something like a laugh or snort of surprise. "Whoa," I exclaimed, "we almost created the FIRST EVER BICYCLE HEAD-ON COLLISION IN THE HISTORY OF FORT WORTH!"

No comments: