Sunday, July 08, 2007

Poem #189 of 365

I glanced out the window into the night
and saw a huge bus make a wide turn,
around the corner it came
and if the driver had just sneezed
in that instant, i swear the
bus would have come crashing
through the glass panels,

but no, it turned smooth
and the driver was calm
as he nosed the bus onward
to its next stop.

And then, i noticed the two words
on its destination sign, and my
heart leapt at the same time as
my feet wanted to spree: San Francisco.

This bus was heading towards San
Francisco on this late dark night
in a dull town of restless people
sweating in toil to
make rent and pay bills, with
thoughts of vacation being just
thoughts, but tonight in a
split-second this bus came
as a promise for me.

I will go to San Francisco within
the next year, and I don't care
if the bus driver sneezes the
whole way there.


copyright 2007 tammy melody gomez

No comments: