Sunday, April 22, 2007

Poem #112 of 365

You curled up to sleep
with the clouds during
those days you lived in the trees.
The canopy draped your every
day acts, your routine movements
and we wondered if you would
remember how to walk on
ground once you realized your
feet were for walking, not
for climbing. But you couldn't
be told nothing, and so we
focused instead on making
your life comfortable, easing
airlifts of food and water,
books and blankets up
in a basket, using
the pulley system we'd
rigged up from a diagram
you'd brought to the hardware
store. I thought about joining
you in the trees, but wanted to wait
until you actually asked me
up, which you never did, and
that's okay, cuz eventually
I surprised you with a short
visit and a promise ring, and
after that I knew there was
no forest or tree
could stop me from loving
the woman who makes me feel
like I’m walking on clouds.

copyright 2007 tammy melody gomez

No comments: