Saturday, July 22, 2006

There was a beach

I want to wake fully rested at 9pm. Pulling on the simplest of clothes, I do not bother with a comb or lipstick. More important is the music, a burned cd of Julieta Venegas songs, and maybe 2 sweaty bottles of Mexican beer. Quickly I deliver myself to the ocean waters, where under the fullest of summer moons, i am to join my friends in a swoon. We will be lavish silhouettes after midnight, watching la luna curtsy over the rooftops, which propels us to bare our thighs to the night and to the waves. There is laughter, it tinkles like doves with bells, and there is sangria to simmer our throats. One by one, the water takes us, a liquid lover who gives way when we bend our spines to the moment. The food is fruit and I am hungry, after all. Lunada, lunada, at the seaside with my silken sea nymph sisters, move so slow. When I am likened to a mermaid, I feel my long dark tresses clench me like cornsilk and my legs wrap together tight like a velvet rope, brown and muscled.

There was a beach, I saw the moon, we swam in water, I was a mermaid.

Thank you, Gabriela.
Thank you, diosa de la luna.

[after first Lunada at Gaby's house and backyard swimming pool with only the most luscious of sistren-friends...]

1 comment:

La Teatrista said...

que bella luna
que bella agua
que cielo tan bello
que bellas ellas
todas cantando
mujer mi mujer