Friday, April 10, 2009

My upcoming gigs and current productions - artistic workflow for the moment

Current projects and forthcoming:

uno-
The Second Annual "PALABRAZOS", an annual festival of literary performance poetry, is coming up on Friday, May 1st at Embargo Bar here in downtown Fort Worth. I co-produce this annual festival with Cesar Hernandez (Cara Mia Theatre of Dallas), and a great collective of literature-loving gente. This year we're bringing in for showcase presentations:
LAS KRUDAS (CUBAN FEMALE HIPHOP)
NATASHA CARRIZOSA AND JOAQUIN ZIHUATANEJO, LOCALPOWERHOUSES OF POETRY,
AND FROM SANTA FE: MARY MIER AND ANGELO JARAMILLO.
ALSO: POEM VIDEOS BY CESAR HERNANDEZ AND TREY MOORE.

dos-
Three poems by Tammy Gomez were selected by renowned writer Jimmy Santiago Baca for publication in the Spring 2009 issue of the Yellow Medicine Review, a literary journal of indigenous writing.
http://www.yellowmedicinereview.com/

tres-
I will be performing a new work entitled "Abierta Saliendo" at the upcoming SOR JUANA INES DE LA CRUZ festival of Mexican
American Women Performers on Saturday, April 18th, at the Mexican American Cultural Center in Austin, TX.
Yikes--this is in one more week, and i'm still rehearsing and rewriting the script. My new work, a one-hour one-woman monologue, is based on the 2 and a half days that i spent trapped in my own friggin' bedroom closet. I'm trying to do this experience some justice via a public performance. Wish me luck!
Download the festival brochure: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/macc/downloads/sorjuana.pdf

cuatro-
I was asked, by author Dr. Michelle Vela (TX A&M-Kingsville) to write the preface for her scholarly book on Chicana Autobiography, which will be published by the Edwin Mellen Press later this year. I submitted the preface (last November), and am just waiting to hear when the book is ready for release.

cinco-
I am also currently co-producing, with a collective of artistas and activists, a local television program for cable access. The show, titled "817 FLAVORS" focuses on the arts, culture, and grassroots organizing in the area spanned by the 817 area code. The first episode began airing in February of this year.

seis-
Yo, I still blog at xxcommunicator.blogspot.com. For the latest information about my projects and other things related to cultura and community activism, please check it out.

No comments: